[plug] ADSL: Hardware Gateways vs Linux

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Jul 6 10:17:18 WST 2004

Trevor Phillips wrote:

> Since this is my first foray into Wireless, and my main usage will be for my
> PDA, I'm really tempted to go with just 802.11b at the moment. I'm still
> tossing up between going with it integrated into the ADSL Router, or a
> separate unit tho. $90 for a separate unit is pretty good though - if I can
> justify an extra $50 for versatility. ^_^

I'd go for a couple of cheap network cards, a plain ADSL modem (no
router) and a separate wireless AP.  I found shifting my home gateway
from dialup to ADSL very simple -- in my case, the modem took care of
PPPoE and all that and handed out an IP address over DHCP, so setting
up ADSL was /simpler/ than setting up dialup.

> On Monday 05 July 2004 18:57, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> > I have a Minitar 802.11b access point.
[...]
> What's the power/range of them like? While it is possible to stick one in the
> family room, it'd be neater if it was hidden in the study - or the
> Linen/Networking closet. ^_^

With the stock antenna, tucked away in a corner of the study, it
doesn't quite cover all of my house (which is not particularly large).
It comes close to it with a good card on the other end, though.  It
seems to go through a few walls okay.

Cameron.