[plug] What have I done wrong?

Lee Jamieson lee.jamieson at bigpond.com
Thu Jul 8 17:08:40 WST 2004

Craig Ringer wrote:
> Lee Jamieson wrote:

> Did it hang immediately or after a little while?

It hung about 30 seconds after testing the screensaver. It also hung
once while testing the screensaver.

> Is your video card
> adequately cooled? (I've seen crash / lockup problems caused by video
> card overheating, especially with 3D).

Not that I am aware of. I haven't had any problem with it overheating in
XP, running Neverwinter Nights.

> Was there a kernel panic (flashing keyboard LEDs will indicate this) or
> did it just lock up?

Not that I noticed.  I tried pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL to get out of it - as
per windowz.... :) I did not know how to kill the X server.

  Did/does CTL-ALT-Backspace kill the X server when
> it's locked up?

See above, but I'll file that little tidbit away for future notice.

> That's strange. What is the output of
>     glxinfo | egrep '(direct rendering|vendor)'
> ?
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation

It seems that that means it's installed and working...

> My solution is to remove framebugger support from bootup. Edit grub or
> lilo so that it doesn't use the framebugger and you will find that it is
> much more stable.

I have done this and will see how it goes when I try and update and
install the update.

Lee