[plug] removing framebuffer support from lilo in Mandrake 10 WAS What have I done wrong?

Scott Middleton scott at linuxit.com.au
Fri Jul 9 09:29:53 WST 2004

Sorry for the title but it makes searching easier later.

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 01:07, Jim Householder wrote:
> Scott Middleton wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 08:48, Lee Jamieson wrote:
> >
> >>Hiya all,
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >>Now, those "OpenGl" screensavers do not work - it is as if I had gone
> >>back before my first attempt at installing.
> >>
> >>I'm using Mandrake 10 Official, 2.6.6
> >

> > I use the the same. Along with an Nvidia card. This comes up a couple of
> > times a year on this list.
> >
> > My solution is to remove framebugger support from bootup. Edit grub or
> > lilo so that it doesn't use the framebugger and you will find that it is
> > much more stable.
> >
> > Regards
> >

> How?
>
> I looked in kernel-parameters and fb/, and found ways to select particular hardware, but nothing that would allow me to disable anything.

/etc/lilo.conf
default="linux-nonfb"
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label="linux-nonfb"
        root=/dev/hda2
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append="devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda1"
        read-only

The differences are in the append where there is a splash= option and
also vga=788. You can also remove those options from the "linux" image.

If you use GRUB, sorry, but I am sure it is nearly the same.

Regards

--
Scott Middleton <scott at linuxit.com.au>
Linux Information Technology