[plug] LVM on RAID5?

Dean Holland speedster at westnet.com.au
Fri Jul 9 14:05:15 WST 2004

Howdy PLUGgers

I'm going to be setting up a machine which will have high usage on it's
/var/spool partition. What I'm after is the ability to add another disk
and expand the partition to create more space when needed.

The box has a hardware RAID controller so I want to use RAID5 for
reliability. Linux sees the array as one device (/dev/rd/c0d0). I've had
a look through the LVM-HOWTO but it doesn't quite answer my questions
specifically :)

My questions:

Will LVM work correctly on RAID5, eg. it's not going to throw a fit when
I add another disk and expand the RAID5 array.

Would it be easier to just use normal partitioning on the RAID5 device
with /var/spool as the last partition, then when expanding the array use
parted to expand /var/spool into the newly added free space.

Thanks!
Dean