[plug] mysql installation

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat Jul 10 14:44:23 WST 2004

Keep in mind that a standard mysql is not integrated into the password
OS system.  The default mysql root user is totally separate from the
root administrator - from memory (its been awhile), the root password is
blank - this is not as bad as it at first seems as it is tied to
localhost, and you as the user are expected to go in and configure the
system as per the mysql documents immediately after install.

However, each OS has probably altered the mysql defaults to match their
own security model so you should start there is installing from other
than an original mysql package (i.e., mandrake, RH etc.

BillK