[plug] Revolution OS movie?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sun Jul 11 16:09:09 WST 2004

Hi,

In message <1089532557.2233.4.camel at localhost>
on Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 03:55:57PM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-07-11 at 14:45, Senectus . wrote:
> > I was wondering if anyone knows if the "revolution OS movie is "free
> > as in beer"?
> I think it might not be. On the website it says:
> ?Copyright 2002 Wonderview Productions, LLC All Rights Reserved

Note that is almost beside the point: if no one owned copyright (i.e. it
was in the public domain) the question needn't have been asked. And
normally, you'd have to assume that somebody owns copyright. Basically,
almost all recently-made "free" work will have a copyright owner. Note
that you can't dictate openness (a la GPL) unless you own copyright
rights. Also, I just looked at a random Linux file and it contains
"Copyright (C) 1991, 1992 Linus Torvalds". (No surprises there.) "All
rights reserved" does not imply anything other than what we would have
to assume in its absence anyway. (This might vary from country to
country, though.)

I'm fairly sure that Markus just wants to know about distribution rights
(i.e. is there a licence to redistribute without modification?). In
general, we have to assume that this is *not* allowed, unless explicitly
advised otherwise. Senectus: does the DVD have a LICENCE file ;-)