[plug] next distro?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sun Jul 11 16:34:07 WST 2004

In message <Sea1-F108wH5sOLKAON0000ab82 at hotmail.com>
on Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 08:18:36AM +0000, Mungo TheB wrote:
> debian? suse? bullet in head? :) haha

I haven't been reading the Mandrake threads so I suppose I've missed
your reason for moving away from Mandrake. Anything in particular, or
just dramas with the latest versions? You have a lot of arbitrary choice
about what distributions you could use. Any constraints other than those
that you've mentioned?

> cant want it tooo easy (otherwise i be usuing windows :)

As someone from a non-Windows background, I find Windows to be anything
but easy, esp. if used as a workstation (kiosks seem to be reasonable
and I don't know about Windows servers). On the other hand, I just find
PC hardware difficult in itself -- took me three hours to partition the
hard drive of the computer I'm using now (including battling with
futility against the Windows installer because it only wanted to install
onto the "C" drive and it had unfathomable ideas about what "C" was) and
I never found any useful explanation of the rationale and consequences
of "primary" versus "extended" versus "logical" partitions.

> otherwise i be usuing windows...which I do as fall back :(

Pick a joke:
(a) <gasp> under emulation, you mean? ;-)
(b) Is that what you call "falling on your sword"? ;-)