[plug] What distro for old laptop?

Kirk Turner kirk.turner at wagoonline.com
Tue Jul 13 09:03:07 WST 2004

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 01:28:40AM +0800, Jim Householder wrote:

> I have an Acer laptop purchased new in '98 which only has 32MB ram and nil
> prospect of getting more.  Will any recent distro work, or do I have to
> dredge up RH 7.0 or some such?  The ones I have tried using kernel 2.4.?
> work, but spend most of the time thrashing.
I have a P120 with 32MB RAM (thanks Computer Angels) running Debian Woody.
Admittedly it is better not to run X, but even so it runs well enough.
I've found that the harddrive space is more of a limitation than
anything else.

> Floppies are not an option (I fried the controller) but it will boot from
> CD.
I had some fun trying to get it installed, and had to use a floppy, but
if I remember rightly that was because the system didn't boot from
CDROM.

Kirk