Real Terabytes [was: Re: [plug] NX X protocol compression]

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jul 13 15:07:25 WST 2004

In message <40F386A6.2070801 at wasp.net.au>
on Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 10:52:22AM +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:
> This should give about 3TB (Real Terrabytes not base 10)

If you mean to use a prefix for binary multiples, 'tebi' is the one to
use. 3TiB is unequivocally equal to 3*1024*1024*1024*1024 bytes[1] and
would be pronounced "three tebibytes". (Tebi is the prefix meaning 2^40
without any confusion with 10^12.) The odd thing about that -bi- system
is that seems to use KiB instead of the more-analogous kiB.

(I deliberately /didn't/ correct Terrabytes to Terabytes in the
quotation, because terrabytes would appear to be the superior
spelling if it weren't for the Greek etymology.)

[1] Unless I'm off by a factor of a thousand again :-)