[plug] Searching Email

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Thu Jul 15 06:14:50 WST 2004

Hey,

I have 530 mailboxes with 1.4Gb of mail since 1997. I use Evolution as
my interface. Yesterday I manually (six clicks per box:-) converted each
of those mailboxes from mbox to maildir because I need a means of
searching my mail.

Evolution allows you to search per box, but 1.4Gb of mail in one box is
not useful. I used to grep, then locate the mailbox, then go and read
the message, this is annoying me.

I installed swish++ to index my mail, but it only supports the maildir
format. Now that I've indexed my mail, this search is only marginally
better than grep.

What do people use to search their mail?

I'm happy to launch a web-browser - there is one running most of the
time any way - but what do others use?

PS. Evolution 1.4.6 from Debian Testing

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S27°52'30" - E151°16'25" (Millmerran, QLD)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..