[plug] Searching Email

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jul 15 11:33:33 WST 2004

Onno Benschop wrote:

> What do people use to search their mail?

I store it on a Cyrus IMAPd back end, use 'squatter' to maintain full
text indexes of the mailboxes, and search using the server-side IMAP
'SEARCH' command from Evolution and sometimes Mozilla.

Of course, I haven't had my mail in mbox/maildir/anything for a long
time, so I can't give a useful speed comparison. My searches aren't as
fast as they should be because my server's I/O performance is pretty
dismal. All I can suggest is that you try it and see. 'mailutil' from
the uw-imapd distribution is pretty good for importing mail into Cyrus,
and handles maildir. Unfortunately that's a pretty significant time
investment to just get decent mail indexing :-(

--
Craig Ringer