[plug] APACHE

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jul 15 16:23:31 WST 2004

Aaron Thorn wrote:

> Firstly, I want to point out I'm a beginner with linux. i´ve installed
> mandrake 10 and been overwhelmed with its potential. I´ve self configured
> proftp and samba but I´m more interested in configuring Apache. However, I
> don´t know where to start. I´ve search the net and book shops for a beginners
> guide without luck. In the past I´ve worked with asp and want to see if it is
> easy to migrate over to CGI.

Well, CGI in general is a way to run programs that talk to the web
server and send their output to the client. You're probably going to be
most interested in moving over to PHP, which is in many ways very like
ASP. PHP sometimes uses the CGI interface, but can also be run with
mod_php as a component of the web server its self (and is much more
efficient that way).

> Can someone direct me to the linux equivalent of asp,

I seem to remember hearing something about running ASP.net using Mono,
apparently. Alternately, PHP is apparently quite ASP-like (I've never
used ASP) and can normally be installed trivially on most modern distros
(if it's not already installed).

For more "conventional" CGI programming, Perl is very traditional, and
Python is becoming very popular due to the fact that it's easier to
write programs you can work on later.

> MS
> access

There's a real hole in the application availibility there. I'm not aware
  if any good app with MS Access's functionality. OpenOffice has some
forms capability, but I've always found it pretty clumsy. There are apps
like Rekall that want to be Access-like, but Rekall at least seems to be
very early days.

> drumbeat/dreamweaver?

Again, a serious weakness there. There are lots of HTML editors, but few
WYSIWYG HTML editors. Nvu is in very early development, but headed in
vaguely that direction. I'm not aware of anything professional, though.

DreamWeaver under CrossOver Office?

> I also want to know how to configure Apache. A
> good tutorial or web site would be much appreciated.

Apache should've installed with its own manual, and that's pretty good.
Otherwise:
http://google.com/search?q=apache+tutorial
there doesn't seem to be any shortage...

--
Craig Ringer