[plug] [OT] props to Harris Technology

Kai vk6ksj at westnet.com.au
Thu Jul 15 20:31:27 WST 2004

Nathan D wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:02:47 +0800, Craig Ringer
> <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
>
>>I was forced to buy a Billion ADSL modem for work (!!) recently, because
>>our trusty Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro was stone cold dead on Monday morning
>>and that's all I could get on short notice. I was astonished - it took
>>me one minute to unpack it and get it hooked up, another minute to
>>connect to it, 10 seconds to configure it for bridging, two minutes to
>>figure out I really only need to do what I'd done in those 10 seconds,
>>and then I was up and running. It's been 100% rock solid ever since.
>>
>>So ... I'm impressed. I keep on hearing people saying good things about
>>them, but I'm used to people saying good things about anything nasty but
>>cheap. In this case, at least in bridging mode, they seem pretty
>>impressive. I have heard about problems with their PPPoE client, but ...
>>doesn't bother me :-)
>
> After hearing the good things about Billion, I bought one and waited
> for my exchange to be enabled a bit over a year ago.  I played with
> the modem while waiting for the line to be activated and then put it
> into bridging mode as soon as ADSL was alive.  A bit over a year later
> with the Billion 711CE and a ipcop/smoothwall firewall and I could not
> be happier.
> A friend has just got a 504G through iiNet and has had to give it a
> reset twice so far to get it back in action.  I'm yet to have a look
> at it to see if I can help fix it at all.
>
> regards,
>   Nathan D.

In late 2002 I bought the first series of BIPAC 711CE101's from Computer
Cash 'n' Carry in Leederville and considering how many brownouts and
other power problems we have at my place I'm happy it's still working well.

The power at our place (any maybe in the whole town ?) isn't very
reliable, especially in the wet season. I'm gunna buy a UPS when I get
home 'cause all those hard shutdowns can't be doing any good.

A lot of people told me I was an idiot for buying a Billion, but I'm
happy with my purchase !

Now, to keep on track with credit where credit's due, the day before I
left Perth for Sweden I bought an HP NX9010 from HT in Osborne Park. I
had tried for about 8 weeks to get a lappy from Trinix but the staff
member I was dealing with was hard to get hold of, their supplier kept
giving them different shipping dates and I needed something before I
left the country, three days before leaving Broome I contacted Kyle (?)
from Harris and told him I wanted an NX9010 and how fast could he get
one...we had this lappy confirmed, on hold and waiting for me before I
left town - ready to pick up when I got to Perth.

Excellent service and I'll be going back there again if I need anything.

Cheers
Kai

--
currently in Södertälje, Stockholm, Sverige