[plug] debian - perl question.

Patrick Tehvand patrick at tehvand.com
Fri Jul 16 13:04:40 WST 2004

 From Perl on a redhat7.3 box creates and uses Berkeley hash files
version 7, which is from Berkeley DB 3.

All the db_ commands are aliased to db3_ commands.

DB_File is 1.75.

 From Perl on a debian 3.0r2 box creates and uses Berkeley has files
version 5, which is from Berkeley DB 2 or 1 (not sure, probably 1).

I manually aliased the db_ commands like the redhat box

DB_File is 1.75.

Both servers are fine with reading the db files from the command line;

 > managed:/data/scripts# db3_stat -d regusers.txt

 > 61561   Hash magic number.

 > 7       Hash version number.

(etc etc)

However, the debian box cannot read the Berkeley DB 3 files from within
Perl if I copy them from redhat box.

 > managed:/home/data/scripts# perl
 > use DB_File;
 >
 > $REGUSERS = tie (%regusers, "DB_File", "regusers.txt", O_RDONLY,
0444, $DB_HASH)
 >  or print "could not open user database for RPoL, error was: ", $!, "
at line ",  __LINE__, "\n";

 > ^D
 > could not open user database for RPoL, error was:  at line 4

Help?

I am assuming it is a perl-cpan issue and as I know nothing about
debian's packaging system other than dpkg --list and all that.

versions between the boxen are fine.

cheers
Patrick