[plug] hdparm troubles

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Sat Jul 17 11:14:06 WST 2004

Hi all,

I'm trying to optimise the hd performance on my Via C3 500MHz system, and
wondering why I have such terrible performance with what I thought was a
fairly good configuration.

min:~# hdparm -X68 -c3 -m16 -d1 /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
 setting 32-bit IO_support flag to 3
 setting multcount to 16
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 setting xfermode to 68 (UltraDMA mode4)
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 IO_support   =  3 (32-bit w/sync)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)

min:~# hdparm -Tt /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   192 MB in  2.03 seconds =  94.58 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   12 MB in  3.20 seconds =   3.75 MB/sec

3.75 MB/sec ???

udma is enabled in the BIOS,
80-way cables installed,
brand new WDC  WD800BB hd.
What have I missed?

Steve

--
VOIP-Phone - Free World Dialup number 454566 - Via 128k ISDN

"Most men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most pick themselves
up and continue on as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill