[plug] hdparm troubles

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Sat Jul 17 13:28:20 WST 2004

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 12:24 pm, Craig Foster wrote:
[...]
> What motherboard do you have?

The motherboard is a Via EPAI-V C3 mini-itx with a Via Eden 533MHz processor,
VIA8601A northbridge and VT8231 Southbridge chipsets.
Debian testing, and custom Kernel 2.4.22 if that matters, relevant kernel

# IDE chipset support/bugfixes (unset options removed)
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RZ1000=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y

I agree with Bernd in a separate reply:
>Seems like DMA isn't actually on. I get 5.64 MB/sec on my 933MHz C3

I tested with dma off (hdparm -X68 -c1 -m16 -d0 /dev/hda), and the disk
transfer rate *almost doubled* from 3.69MB/sec to 6.64MB/sec!
So there is definitely something wrong with DMA, either the driver or the
hardware. I'm off to google some more...

Out of interest, here's the proc info on the ide interface:

min:~# cat /proc/ide/via