[plug] DVD Distro with Remote

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Sun Jul 18 11:49:09 WST 2004

Looking at turning a nice laptop into a part time DVD player. As windows
sucks at lots of stuff and I like the Linux DVD players better (Played with
Xine, and Mplayer) I would like to dual boot it. This will also hopefully
be faster than booting into windows.
I need a DVD Distro that will basically just boot straight into the DVD
player and play DVD's. IT would be nice if it could also play music and
DivX's, Xvids and other compressed video files.
The main feature I need is remote control functionality. Windows doesn't
allow you to use the Infared port for that as it's drivers have complete
control of it for file transfers. I have boot KNOPPIX and used XMMS to test
the remote and it works fine.
If I can't get a Distro that has all this then I will build one my self
from a KNOPPIX CD but I need to know what DVD software has remote support
and how easy it is to use.
Thanks
Tim
p.s. Windows also does funny stuff with the sound card when playing DVD's
as it likes to mute it when I press pause. I would also still like to be
able to use the volume buttons on the keyboard and/or remote but this isn't
as important.

weirdo AT tigris DOT org (MSN Enabled) | ICQ# 255176389 | Riverton, Perth, WA
--- Computer languages are the only real universal languages