[plug] Mandrake mirrors

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Jul 20 11:44:12 WST 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:14, Joel Johnson wrote:
> Just installed Mandrake 9.0 on an older laptop (Pentium 1). Mandrake
> 10 didn't want to install so reverted to the older version. Now
> trying to do an update but it seems that the Mandrake 9.0 mirror on
> 3FL is no longer maintained.

Or anywhere. Try ftp.proxad.net and look under "old" in the Mandrake
updates directory. That'll bring you up to about March, when they
EOL'ed it.

If you point URPMI at a later Mandrake mirror, you can do this to
upgrade the entire distro:

    urpmi urpmi
    urpmi --auto-select

Remember to include an update medium to avoid downloading stuff twice
(once the original, then later an updated version when you do an
update).

I *don't* recommend doing this via dialup. It involves downloading
hundreds (thousands on a full system) of megabytes of RPMs, and it may
drop your PPP connection while doing so, and be unable to remake it
(unlikely but not impossible).

I recommend going to 9.2 first, as that won't break as many things as
updating direct to 10.0, then doing it again to 10.0 once you're sure
it's all happy.

Back up everything precious (data and config) before trying this, and
there is no warranty, but it's worked for me a couple of times.

Cheers; Leon [now compiling kdepim]