[plug] self shutdown

Dion tenzero at iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 21 11:02:27 WST 2004

Ryan Smith wrote:

>hello
>
>About 10 minutes ago my gateway magically shut itself, which is kinda
>scary, cause im the only one using it and I'm pretty sure that it wasnt
>me. So I was wondering how do I find out how it was shutdown.
>
>I did find this line in auth.log
>Jul 20 10:57:22 faraday su[490]: + ??? root-nobody
>Just to be on the safe side. is it possible to only allow certain users
>to su?
>
>cheers
>Ryan

This may be irrelevant, however did it actually shutdown or simply
reboot??  Dodgy ram is a classic for magical reboots mid think.  Memtest
might be a good idea if you think this may be in the ballpark.

Otherwise, NFI but good luck.

D.

--
"Never ascribe to malice that which may adequately be explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte