[plug] Mandrake 10 shutdown question

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jul 21 12:30:27 WST 2004

Chris Griffin wrote:
> I know I have probably been looking straight at it, but how do I shut
> down with Mandrake 10?
> I only seem to get logoff options and at the logon screen all the
> shutdown/reboot options are greyed out. At the moment I am doing an
> init 0 in a shell, but that does not power it off and I should be able
> to do it a little neater than that.

To shut down a machine from the command line, run
	shutdown -h now
running 'poweroff' will also work and will go through normal shutdown,
but will have unexpected and unpleasant results if you ever try it on a
non-Linux system:

Power off ... umm, OK, if you're sure. <screen goes blank>

Somewhat like typing 'halt' on most SYSV machines:

# halt
System Halted

probably not the result one wants. For that reason, use 'shutdown -h now'.

--
Craig Ringer