[plug] Fw: [plug-ctte] Modem problems

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Wed Jul 21 19:01:30 WST 2004

----- Forwarded message from Terry Hunt <scarf3b at yahoo.com.au> -----

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 01:51:08 +1000 (EST)
From: Terry Hunt <scarf3b at yahoo.com.au>
Subject: [plug-ctte] Modem problems

Hi there,
Just seeing if there's any-one at P.L.U.G. that can point me in the right
direction in regards to actually being able to get a modem to work on my new
Mandrake system. I was at the installfest at the week-end and got Mandrake put
on my computer but no-one explained how difficult it would be to be able to get
this thing to work on-line. I'm sorry I have no expertise with the inner
machinations of this magical device I'm sitting in front of, I'm used to
Windows doing all the work, even if I have to pay Microsoft every time I need
to actually do something with the thing. I thought I'd try Linux to see if the
claims of new user-friendlyness were true. I've talked to Linux IT about a
modem to work on Linux and only get blank stares as if I've asked a rude
question. A computer shop sold me a new modem saying that they thought it may
work ( No-one was prepared to put thier name on the line).
I have looked up a few sites on the net ( thank god for Explorer ) and it seems
to me that user-friendly and modem are not words that go together in the Linux
world.
The crux of the matter is: Can I go out and buy a modem that I can plug into
this computer to make my shiny new Linux system work on the Net. If so
please,please, please point me in that direction.
Thanks very much for your time and any help you may be able to supply.
Terry Hunt

----- End forwarded message -----

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>