[plug] Fw: [plug-ctte] Modem problems

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Wed Jul 21 22:11:24 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 21:36, Adam Ashley wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 20:42 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > Frankly, this illustrates one of my concerns about installfests and
> > about people telling others that "you should use linux". It's very hard
> > to properly explain to people the issues they're likely to encounter
> > such as their PCI/USB 56k/DSL modem, webcam, 3D accel, external disk
> > devices, 802.11{ag} hardware, etc possibly not working or taking
> > considerable extra effort to get working.
> >
> > In particular, I think the winmodem spiel (TM) is very, very important.
> > "These things are a pain, and don't work well with Linux. I don't know
> > if your model will work and don't have time to look into it now, so be
> > aware that you may not be able to use it under Linux or it might take a
> > lot of complex fiddling."
> >

> actually at the installfest i was helping one guy with his gentoo
> install and it took less than 5mins to get the winmodem working :)
>
> of course it was a lucent winmodem so
>
> emerge ltmodem
> killall -HUP devfsd
>
> Adam

I'll second that but with Debian. When I first started using Linux
fulltime when I had moved from Windows I couldn't get a ISA modem
working but it had worked previously with Redhat. I went out and bought
one from Megamart and had it running within an hour thanks to help from
linmodems.org

The LtWinmodems are very common.

In Windows I usually don't bother trying to find modem drivers because
the cost of another card is usually half the cost in labour time that it
takes to scour the web for the driver on good day.