[plug] Newbie Install of Debain "woody"

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Jul 22 23:24:16 WST 2004

Craig Foster wrote:

> Never underestimate, whether it's ADSL overnight or a PLUG workshop in
> minutes, installing an "old" woody 3.2 and using "apt-get
> dist-upgrade"

(Presumably you mean upgrading the machine to Sarge or Sid?  There is
no Debian 3.2: the current release is Woody, a.k.a. Debian 3.0, and the
next release, Sarge, will be Debian 3.1.)

> > So the path required for dselect should be (I hope) :
> >
> > 	/mnt/setup/pool/main/l/less/less_374-4_i386.deb
> >
> > But dselect spits the dummy - I moves on to tasksel (?????)

Rather than messing around with dselect, use apt.  Run apt-setup,
tell it you have files on a local filesystem, enter /mnt/setup at the
appropriate time, and away you go.

> Forget dselect if you're approaching this as a newbie!!!
> Ask yourself what you want to do with your machine and run tasksel, or
> apt-cache search / apt-get install.

Aptitude is also kind of nice, if you're into full-screen text-based UIs.

> > Problem 3
> > --------------
> > Cannot get network card to work -
[...]
> > 7.3 ) insmod will install the module (using autodetect=1) and
[...]
> > Where do I add the '"autodetect=1" to have it work from boot up.

Make a file in /etc/modutils/ (e.g. /etc/modutils/eepro) and put in
it:

        options eepro autodetect=1

Then run update-modutils.

Cameron.