[plug] Newbie Install of Debain "woody"

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Fri Jul 23 00:42:36 WST 2004

On 22 Jul 2004 at 23:24, Cameron Patrick wrote:

> Rather than messing around with dselect, use apt.  Run apt-setup,
> tell it you have files on a local filesystem, enter /mnt/setup at the
> appropriate time, and away you go.

apt-setup would not accept the above settings - played around a bit and edited
/etc/apt/sources.list which now looks like this :

deb file:/mnt/setup/   dists/woody/main/binary-i386/
deb file:/mnt/setup/   dists/woody/contrib/binary-i386/

apt-setup is happy and so am I.

> Make a file in /etc/modutils/ (e.g. /etc/modutils/eepro) and put in it:
>
>         options eepro autodetect=1
>
> Then run update-modutils.

update-modutils not on my machine - so I rebooted and played around - 2 reboots and eth0 is up and
working I can now ping my network.

Thanks for the help Cameron, now it's time for more reading and learning until I get something else
wrong.

Might even try getting some sleep.

Cheers