[plug] Default Route, ppp, LAN

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Fri Jul 23 20:04:29 WST 2004

Hi. I normally access the net through a gateway on the LAN. Occasionally
I need to dialup myself (e.g. When I am not on the LAN or I am testing a
different server)
When I dialup if eth0 is still up with the default route set to point at
the gateway then ppp0 can't set it's self as the default route and I
can't access the internet through ppp0.
If I bring eth0 down then ppp0 up then eth0 up it also fails[1] as it
appears to be trying to get it's DNS from a non existent server on the
LAN rather than the ISP.[2]
I want it to be able to stay on the LAN while connected to the net so
that I may also be able to share the connection with the LAN.
This is similar to a problem I am having with a temporary gateway. So
that it can act as a gateway I can't set the default route to the LAN
gateway.
Thanks
Tim

[1]
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
211.29.214.254  *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
ppp0
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth0
default         dw              0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
eth0
default         211.29.214.254  0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
ppp0
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
welax13.optusne *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
ppp0
default         welax13.optusne 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
ppp0

[2]