[plug] Data recovery with Gentoo system rescue cd

caston at arach.net.au caston at arach.net.au
Fri Jul 23 16:45:39 WST 2004

Quoting Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au>:

> On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 16:04, caston at arach.net.au wrote:
>
> > I'm sure sure if there is an issue with these drives but I was using a
> > hardcano 11 and felt that the drive temp was usually above what it should
> be.
> > I watched it climb to 35degrees at the installfest.
>
> 35 degrees seems pretty normal to me. That's where my RAID disks in my
> server at work sit normally, but they can climb to more than 45 degrees
> under heavy load. My home desktop's disks tend to be more like 25
> degrees, but then they're very well cooled and doing very little.
>
> > A few questions:
> >
> > Would it be worth using dd to dump the entire drive contents to the new
> drive
> > or should I rebuild from scatch?
>
> dd will get you a more exact copy (down to the same inode numbers etc),
> but chances are that doesn't matter. When migrating data off failing
> disks I tend to use dd where possible because it's fast and easy.
>
> If dd cannot read some sectors and fails, it is probably safer to make a
> new filesystem on the target and copy all the files instead ('cpio -p'
> is good for this) rather than using dd with conv=noerror.

thanks Craig,

Right now I am doing cp -r *

The source is ext3 and the target is ext2. I was in such a rush that I didn't
adding journaling to the new disks file system.

What is the difference between this and cpio -p ?

I believe the last time I used cpio was unpacking oracle disk images and I
didn't know what it was then and probably still don't now.

> > What is the dd command and block size I should use?
>
> I find that bs=1M (or more) massively improves the transfer rate.
> Otherwise, a normal
>
> dd if=/dev/source_device of=/dev/target_device bs=1M

Thanks.

I'm feeling that I may rebuild from scratch anyway just incase.

Does anyone here know if KDE or anything else major is currently broken in sid?