HDD cooling was Re: [plug] Data recovery with Gentoo system rescue cd

caston at arach.net.au caston at arach.net.au
Fri Jul 23 16:55:46 WST 2004

Quoting Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au>:

> On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 16:04, caston at arach.net.au wrote:
>
> > I'm sure sure if there is an issue with these drives but I was using a
> > hardcano 11 and felt that the drive temp was usually above what it should
> be.
> > I watched it climb to 35degrees at the installfest.
>
> 35 degrees seems pretty normal to me. That's where my RAID disks in my
> server at work sit normally, but they can climb to more than 45 degrees
> under heavy load. My home desktop's disks tend to be more like 25
> degrees, but then they're very well cooled and doing very little.

OK. Well I don't think my disks do that much either but I prefer them to sit
in 26 degrees. HDs without a cooler will usually sit on about 37-40degrees in
my experience. I also see that is is heavily dependent on the weather. I find
the HDs are always MUCH cooler in an airconditioned office compared to a noisy
factory room.

I always buy Seagates because they have temp sensors that work with hddtemp. I
usually prefer hardcanos but where cost is an issue I use the $10 hddfans that
screw over the top of the drives curcuit board with 5 1/3" drive bay brackets
if requied.

I have a strict policy of providing hddfans with all the drives that I sell
and usually strongly recommend installing one on a customers machine is they
don't have one.

I don't get exposed to RAID but I hear that one hot drive in a RAID array can
cause serious issues.