[plug] zombie state

Alan Graham alan.graham at infonetsystems.com.au
Fri Jul 23 19:07:20 WST 2004

A zombie isn't an application locked up.  It's a child process that has
finished, whose parent hasn't cleaned it up properly.

Unix processes start other processes by executing a 'fork'.  The 'fork'
copies the process, so that there are two identical processes except for
the process id.  The copy is termed the child process, the original is
the parent.  Typically, the code after the fork looks at the PID to see
if this is the parent or the child  If it's the parent, it 'wait's for
the child to end.  If it doesn't 'wait', when the child ends it
zombies.  The idea is that eventually the parent will execute a 'wait',
which will allow the zombies to end.

It sounds like the virus scanner is forking a child process to handle
each incoming mail.  Once each child ends, it zombies.  The parent
process continues to monitor port 25 while the child is examining the
mail to ensure that each mail coming in is handled in a timely fashion,
no matter how long each preceding mail is taking to be scanned.  The
parent should be cleaning up its own child processes periodically.

Zombies don't normally cause problems.  They should have released their
resources before they ended, so it's just an entry on the process
table.  Are they causing a problem?

HTH

Alan