[plug] what port is xfs running on?

Rob Dunne Rob.Dunne at CSIRO.AU
Sat Jul 24 23:30:22 WST 2004

HI guys,

as root

[root at plastic]# tail -1 /etc/X11/fs/config
no-listen = tcp
[root at plastic]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart
Restarting xfs:
Shutting down xfs:                                         [  OK  ]
Starting xfs:                                              [  OK  ]
[root at plastic]# /usr/sbin/lsof -i -P | grep xfs
     # nothing
[root at plastic]# vi /etc/X11/fs/config
[root at plastic]# tail -1 /etc/X11/fs/config
#no-listen = tcp
[root at plastic]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart
Restarting xfs:
Shutting down xfs:                                         [  OK  ]
Starting xfs:                                              [  OK  ]
[root at plastic]# /usr/sbin/lsof -i -P | grep xfs
xfs       6620     xfs    3u  IPv4 211994       TCP *:7100 (LISTEN)

[root at plastic]# xset -q
Font Path:
  /home/robd/.kde/share/fonts/override,unix/:7100,/home/robd/.kde/share/fonts

I am not setting up a network font server.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Gecko:_FAQs_:_Linux_XFT_and_MathML
gives instructions of how to add fonts for firefox if  " --enable-xft "
appears in about:buildconfig

what that didnt seem to work properly (missing characters in the display)
I had a look at
http://www.ibiblio.org/Linux/HOWTO/Font-HOWTO/xfonts.html#AEN223
which seems to expect xfs to be listening at a port

                                                     bye
						     rob