[plug] Novell / IBM training

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jul 26 13:22:48 WST 2004

At 12:37 26/07/2004 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
>For those of you that are interested this is DAMN good value..
>http://www.novell.com/training/linux/workshop/ap_workshop.html
>
>We're about 10 people away from another class (I hear) being setup for
>maybe august.. so register your interest asap if you want to go..

I went to the one they held in Perth two weeks ago.   Very full
house.  Sounds like the same thing they wanted $39 for then.   Note the
blurb says "advanced Linux users should not attend" but there were quite a
few in the audience who are obviously using Linux pretty darned effectively
:-)   Quite a few of my colleagues from the HDWA side of town, staunch
Novell + Windows users who had either been dabbling in Linux or were
impressed (by the Linux side) out of the box.

Don't expect a lot of high-tech insights in the actual demo - the fellow
walked us through an installation of SUSE (no lowercase u now apparently)
on an IBM laptop.   The presenter was talking at the level of "these are
several useful commands ... ls mkdir rmdir"   ps did not rate a
mention.   I'm not being negative just pointing out what was on offer
then.   Presenter was responding to higher-level questions from the
audience.  The upside was a goodie bag including full 3-CD set of SUSE, a
trial version of Novell on Linux, an amazingly good spread of food if being
held at Excom in the City, and people who liked to talk shop during the breaks!

I went along principally because I wanted to see how Linux is being
portrayed in the marketplace and what Novell customers could expect to
see.   Not a lot of emphasis on the Novell side - certainly we did not get
into NDS trees, etc.   Hey, what can you fit into one day anyway :-)   SUSE
installed semi-cleanly onto the IBM laptop.   The show stopper was the
non-recognition of the NIC, the correction to which was explained and
demonstrated to be viable - grab a different driver :-)

Cheers,
Denis