[plug] Hacker Nights (was ** July Workshop Notice **)

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Jul 26 17:45:44 WST 2004

Shayne O'Neill wrote:

> On that subject, It'd be nice to have 2 plug lists [plug] and
> [plug-newbies] or something.

This idea has been suggested before, I believe.  The main reservation
I have towards it is that it would encourage a tendency for those who
could perhaps be the most help to these newbies[1] to not listen to
their questions.  Other people may start out inexperienced, but pick
up stuff from reading mailing list posts from those who have been
around for longer.  It may also have a tendency to split the PLUG
community a bit.  Both of these would be less of a problem if PLUG
were larger -- or maybe we're big enough already and I've just not
noticed it! :-)

FWIW I've heard of a "linux elitists" mailing list for those whose
egos require them to be vindictive towards newcomers.  While splitting
[plug] won't necessarily encourage that kind of attitude, it's still
one step in that direction.

> Plus those who feel fatigued by 'dumb' questions would be spared
> them.

*shrug*  You're under no obligation to actually /answer/ them.

Cheers,

Cam- brave defender of the status quo -eron.

[1] How many "newbie" problems get a reply from James Devenish 30
seconds after hitting the list, saying something like "I don't have a
clue how to solve your particular problem because I'm not really a
Linux user but on some operating systems [insert correct solution to
newbie's problem here]"? :-P -- or similar from any of quite a few
other knowledgeable folks we have on this list.