[plug] Xandros OS

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Mon Jul 26 18:05:59 WST 2004

Joel Johnson wrote:
> [...]

xandros 2 was the first distro I used full-time.  Until it came out with the April 2004 issue of Australian PC Authority I dabbled a bit and played around with it, but nothing serious.

xandros installed smoothly and for a while I was quite happy with it.  Very easy to use.  However while being of debian origin, it is quite heavily tweaked.  It is good for users, but not for hackers.  I eventually moved on to other distros because of things xandros did not cater for or had been modified to hide.

xandros-networks is quite convenient for package management, but be aware that it is *not* fault-tolerant.  Better to use apt.  I have tried to use dselect, but found that if too many dependencies need to be satisfied it gets hopelessly tangled.

Jim