[plug] Xandros OS

Milan Pospisil Milan.Pospisil at swantafe.wa.edu.au
Tue Jul 27 13:40:20 WST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Joel Johnson wrote:

>> Just noticed that the latest Australian Developer mag has a copy of Xandros Desktop OS on the cover CD and was wondering >>if anyone has had a play with Xandros in the past and what they thought of it?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Joel

> shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au 07/26/04 02:36pm wrote:>

>Yes. Xandros is marvelous.

>Its a custom tweaked debian that fits together really tightly. Its kde
>based, and the gnome/other apps are tweaked to take advantage of KDE (Ie,
>mozilla and Open Office default to k-printer, etc). You might be slightly
>disturbed by some of the windows-isms in it, but basically whats happening
>is xandros succeeds where lycoris/lindows/etc fail... ie its not retarded.

>The crossover office integration is only in the pay-for version, so wont
>be on the cover. I'm told it works beautifully, giving a true windows
>alternative.

>I'm moving back to it, because its as easy to install as knoppix (the
>autodetection is fab) and not as gonzo as knoppix.

>Give it to yer mother.
<snip>

>Shayne O'Neill. http://www.perthimc.asn.au

I second that, Shane!  However, there is one more thing worth mentioning: Unlike SuSE or Mandrake  Xandros does not come with a firewall installed. That has to be taken from the Application CD (which is supplied only with the pay for version) or downloaded from the net. Very much recomended to do so IMHO, because when it comes to security you do not want to imitate a 'doze box even vaguely.
                Regards
                                 Milan Pospisil