[plug] Backups

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jul 27 16:22:16 WST 2004

Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:

> Anyways do I have to mount the file system as read only backup then
> unmoutn and remount it as read and write.  As I said this sits on 24/7
> granted its not used constantly and I'm not worried about but its just a
> situation where I don't want to lose data and the just in case a
> murphy's stupid laws is what concerns me.

OK. What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish. There are several
different things people tend to talk about under the heading 'backups',
and I'm not entirely clear on what you're after. This would seem to be
an important thing to estabilish before going into too much detail about
the various availible tools.

Common "backup" tasks include:

- Regular backups of frequently changing information on a system. Often
done nightly or sometimes weekly..

- Incremental backups, where only information that changed since the
last backup is backed up.

- Archival style backups, where often large chunks of data are being
backed up in preparation to either delete the originals to save space,
or to cease backing up the originals to free up capacity on regular backups.

- System snapshots, where the goal is to make a clone of the entire OS
and data with the intent of having something that can be restored in a
total loss situation (system crack, server theft, fire, etc). A system
snapshot is sometimes being taken with the intent of immediately
restoring it to another system so that that other system can be used as
a cold spare/warm spare.

IMHO all of the above are a good idea. I like to use differential
backups myself (though I'm currently using daily full backups of
reguarly changing content), combined with off-site archival of older
data and regular system snapshots.

Nonetheless, it'd be helpful to know what you're currently trying to
achieve.

--
Craig Ringer