[plug] Bandwidth limiting

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jul 27 18:01:14 WST 2004

Tim White wrote:
> I am looking for a bandwidth limiting program for limiting my download
> speeds. I am currently using trickle in standalone mode. What I want is
> for a bandwidth limiter to detect what other programs are using and
> never stop them from using bandwidth. Instead of reserving 20% for http
> and chat I would like it to detect if other programs are using the
> connection and to throttle then. If the connection is empty then i want
> it to use all of the bandwidth. I think I can do this using trickled but
> i havn't had time to look yet and what I did see looked complex.

It sounds like you want a full QoS solution. I've used HTB very
succesfully, but it took me a while to learn. For a quick fix that might
work, check out WonderShaper, a CFQ/HTB setup script.

http://lartc.org/wondershaper/

I found I needed to write my own script to fit my needs, so I didn't use
it, but I've heard people have good results with it for simple things.

--
Craig Ringer