[plug] phone fax / answering machine

Russ Powers russ at powerstech.com
Tue Jul 27 17:56:00 WST 2004

Hi,

Anybody out there use a linux box as an answering machine and fax
send/receive? Any success stories?

I have a fax/answering machine but I also have a server that's on all the time
so it seems a waste of power having them both on all the time.

I also change the answering machine settings depending on the time of day and
day of the week. For instance weekends I set it to pick up immediately. But I
have to do that manually and usually forget. It would be nice to have a cron
job do it automagically.

I've been looking around and most seem to involve using vgetty with a modem.
Don't know how vgetty and linux would go with an on board modem or how this
would impact adsl.

I'd be interested in any decent gui's too. Didn't see much available.

Thanks.

--
Regards,
Russ