[plug] Backups

Marc Wiriadisastra marc-w at smlintl.com.au
Wed Jul 28 09:03:36 WST 2004

Is my understanding of dump correct.

If I want to use dump the weekly full file system I would use dump  -0
(number 0) for a full filesystem and then for the incremental just make
the daily backups dump -1 so those are incremental.

If decided from all readings to use dump predominantly because the basic
install won't take me to long to get everything active.  All I need are
the .conf files and other small stuff and the workdir and the homes and
everything else is "not" needed.

Also because I'm unsure about size I wanted to compress it to my
harddrive then cron job it to transfer to the dvd drive when I'm at work
and yes it is dvd +- R/ +- RW so I can use read writable media which is
what I was planning to do mainly for cost savings methodology but still
effectiveness.

I had errors before which I tried to tar.gz a group of files for max
2gig file size limit or something I have ext3fs so maybe it was how I
did the command it was a while ago but yeah everyone I've spoken has no
idea.

Is that a logical method to backup stuff or am I like off target or am I
missing something.

TIA

Marc