[plug] phone fax / answering machine

Russ Powers russ at powerstech.com
Wed Jul 28 13:49:16 WST 2004

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:33 am, Michael Holland wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Russ Powers wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Anybody out there use a linux box as an answering machine and fax
> > send/receive? Any success stories?
>
> Yes, I've used vgetty. No problems. You may need to get a compatible modem
> though.  I think I needed a filter to convert the modem's voice file
> format.
>
> > Don't know how vgetty and linux would go with an on board modem or how
> > this
>
> A what!?  Get a real modem first.

Kinda defeats one of the reasons for doing it, to cut down on devices and
power draw. I'm sure it uses less than my Brother fax.

> > would impact adsl.
>
> No problem. Just use the usual line filter.

Cool.

> > I'd be interested in any decent gui's too. Didn't see much available.
>
> For what? You can use a GUI editor on the config file, and a GUI
> mail-reader to play the messages. What more could a Linux user possibly
> want?

You keep catching me on that!  :-)

Having read the responses and thinking more about it, yeah, probably the
majority of what I want can be done with config files and cron.

I was thinking along the lines of checking messages, play back. and sending
faxes.

> --
> The best things in life go on sale sooner or later.

Regards,
Russ