[plug] NTP

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jul 28 17:29:23 WST 2004

Hi,

In message <s107ec10.083 at mmtnetworks.com.au>
on Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 06:10:12PM +0800, Jon  Miller wrote:
> I need to setup a few server to be reference their time from the main
> server in an organization.  The gateway server will be the main server
> getting [its] time from an external source.  All other servers needs to
> get their time from the gateway server. Can someone point me to the
> right document, I had a look on www.ntp.org, but didn't see anything
> about setting up peer (or secondary) servers in a network.

Just run `ntpd` on your gateway and your other computers. Then,
configure those other machines to use the gateway. On the gateway,
`ntpd` will both synchronise itself with the remote server and "listen"
for connections from your other computers (by default, if I recall
correctly). If you want to set up "peers", that is another matter
because the term implies some sort of failover / availability
arrangement (which is fine, but you probably don't need to make
things complicated unless you actually want to).