[plug] OT SCO anyone familier with it ?

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 29 08:22:03 WST 2004

On Thursday 29 July 2004 07:39, Chris Cornish wrote:
> Anyone know much about sco unix and how to use it. I have a friend the
> wants to copy files to tape on one sco machine maintainging permissions
> and directry structure and then restoring all files ( along with
> permissions and directry structure) on a different machine from the
> tape.

> Proberly a very easy ask but have been hunting for a couple of weeks for
> the info and have not managed to get very far , If any one can help it
> would be much apriciated.

It's just Unix. Most reliable archive format for transfer IME has been
cpio. Be careful with the format options as SCO knows a couple that
are a bit odd.

When extracting the tape content onto another machine, that has to
be done as root to preserve ownerships. I set my umask to 000 just
in case the stupid system wants to apply it to extracted files.