[plug] OT SCO anyone familier with it ?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jul 29 09:33:22 WST 2004

Shayne O'Neill wrote:
> My understanding is SCO unix is not dissimilar to BSD yeah?

Hmm. It seems pretty SYS-V to me:

$ ps aux
Usage: ps [-aAdefl] [-G groups] [-o format] [-p pids] [-t termlist] \
         [-u users] [-U users] [-g pgrplist]

etc. It's somewhat hybridised (has both lp and lpr, for example) but
very much System V derived.

> I used an SCO unix box about 5-6 years ago, and it was pretty... well..
> BSD-ish. That said, I was never a root admin on the stupid thing.

Be glad, it's not overly fun. SCO's admin tools, warts and all, kick the
pants of anything availible on Linux, but I think that's about the
extent of the good bits.

> Also, this bizare box had no TCP stack. Never worked out what was up with
> that.

It was an optional extra for most of the OpenServer series IIRC.

Scott Middleton wrote:
 > Thats actually quite funny. I was just talking (literally) to Leon
 > Brooks about doing that for a client of mine. Except we want to back up
 > the data from a SCO box to a Linux Box.

I'm using this to make an archive of the whole system over ssh (which
you can get from ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware):

ssh >uk_full_backup.cpio root at uk 'find / \
     | egrep -v "^/dev/(core|X|rSt0|logfifo)$" \
     | cpio -o -a -H newc -v'

HOWEVER I have not yet done a full test restore of the resulting
archive, so test first. I also think I might need '-m' on the cpio
command to store modification times.

Bernd Felsche wrote:

 > It's just Unix. Most reliable archive format for transfer IME has been
 > cpio.

That's been my experience as well.

--
Craig Ringer