[plug] Bandwidth limiting

Mark O'Shea mark at musicalstoat.co.uk
Thu Jul 29 14:03:45 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 09:48, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Having never used shorewall, I have absolutely no idea. I should've
> noted in my original mesage, by the way, that you DO need to run your
> QoS services on a gateway machine, not the endpoint, as QoS abilities
> incoming data under Linux are limited or nonexistent. (Why, I don't
> know. What's the difference between drop on forward and drop on input,
> really?)

Well it's a little pointless throttling input on the endpoint.  The
packets are still being sent to you at the same rate, your machine has
received them and started to process them, so what's the gain?

It does seem a little unlinux-like to not have the option though if you
really want to.

--
Mark O'Shea