[plug] OT SCO anyone familier with it ?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 29 15:55:47 WST 2004

In message <4108988D.7060101 at smlintl.com.au>
on Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 02:26:21PM +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> Ok that makes it clear as mud but at the end of the GNU is separate to
> the FSF is the GPL is different again.  I thought they were all
> inter-linked as in GNU software was using the GPL and FSF was anything
> that was opensource using the GPL.

At http://www.gnu.org there is a description of the FSF and the GNU
project. The FSF is an organisation. GNU is a project of the FSF. The
GPL is a document administered by the FSF and used as part of the GNU
project. Anything that the FSF incorporates into the GNU project is open
source, and uses the GPL. However, open source is a phenomenon/concept
that also exists throughout the wider world (without needing to have any
direct ties with the FSF, GNU or GPL).