[plug] iPod 40GB vs iRiver H140 40GB

Adam Hewitt ahewitt at globaldial.com
Fri Jul 30 14:24:21 WST 2004

Hi All,

I am currently looking for HDD mp3 player and I have basically narrowed
my choices down to these two. As these have enough differences to make
the dicision difficult I have started a list of pros and cons of each.
What I would like is some real world experiences that people have had
with each and if you have anything to add to the pro's and con's of
each. $650-750 is a lot to spend on an mp3 player and I would like to
make sure I have all my bases covered.

Cheers,

Adam.

iPod:

Pros:
Excellent user interface
~$100 cheaper than iRiver (although I have found a place that does the
iRiver for the same price)
Massive amounts of third party add ons

Cons:
No remote (Non-LCD one available as optinal accessory)
Battery doesn't last as long as iRiver
Doesn't support OGG
No Radio
No Record function without third party Mic
PC Magazine gives 4 stars

iRiver:

Pros:
LCD Remote
Radio
Recording functionality
Plays OGG
Shows up as external hard drive, so OS independent (??)
PC Magazine gives it 5 stars

Cons:
iRiver don't have a presence in their own forums
Firmware is a little dodgy, however a new revision is due for August
(apparently)
Doesn't seem to have the same third party support

--
Adam Hewitt - CCNA, LCP
Systems Engineer, iiNet