[plug] iPod 40GB vs iRiver H140 40GB

John H fiasco_j at iinet.net.au
Sat Jul 31 22:18:57 WST 2004

Dick's (Tandy).
It sounds as good as a strong FM radio. I'm in heaven. Family driving other
car behind could also tune in, although I find the strongest signal & least
interference with it sat on the centre console. (although I often leave the
whole iriver/fm transmitter in my pocket and just clip the remote on my
shirt-front.)

john

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 10:00 pm, Adam Ashley wrote:
> where did you get the belken FM transmitter? and whats it quality like?
>
> I've been trying to get one for my 140 but havent been able to find one
> yet
>
> Adam
>
> On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 20:28 +0800, John H wrote:
> > I bought the iriver H140
> > I like it.
> > Pros: PLays .ogg
> > Records
> > Apparent good batterylife
> > Easily mounts on my debian pc, with tthe usb cable.
> > $50 for a Belken FM transmitter and I can listen to any of my music
> > collection in the car.
> > 4,500 tracks about 13 gb.
> > cons: doesn't charge through the usb cable.
> >
> > i t has saved me putting mp3 cd player in 2 family cars and all the messy
> > creating of cds.
> >
> > John
> >
> > On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 02:24 pm, Adam Hewitt wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I am currently looking for HDD mp3 player and I have basically narrowed
> > > my choices down to these two. As these have enough differences to make
> > > the dicision difficult I have started a list of pros and cons of each.
> > > What I would like is some real world experiences that people have had
> > > with each and if you have anything to add to the pro's and con's of
> > > each. $650-750 is a lot to spend on an mp3 player and I would like to
> > > make sure I have all my bases covered.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Adam.
> > >
> > > iPod:
> > >
> > > Pros:
> > > Excellent user interface
> > > ~$100 cheaper than iRiver (although I have found a place that does the
> > > iRiver for the same price)
> > > Massive amounts of third party add ons
> > >
> > > Cons:
> > > No remote (Non-LCD one available as optinal accessory)
> > > Battery doesn't last as long as iRiver
> > > Doesn't support OGG
> > > No Radio
> > > No Record function without third party Mic
> > > PC Magazine gives 4 stars
> > >
> > > iRiver:
> > >
> > > Pros:
> > > LCD Remote
> > > Radio
> > > Recording functionality
> > > Plays OGG
> > > Shows up as external hard drive, so OS independent (??)
> > > PC Magazine gives it 5 stars
> > >
> > > Cons:
> > > iRiver don't have a presence in their own forums
> > > Firmware is a little dodgy, however a new revision is due for August
> > > (apparently)
> > > Doesn't seem to have the same third party support
> > >

> > > --
> > > Adam Hewitt - CCNA, LCP
> > > Systems Engineer, iiNet

Nonsense, this is a far superior drink to meths. The wankers don't drink it
because they can't afford it.
-Withnail