[plug] GPRS under Linux

Paul Arch paul at sdmgroup.com.au
Wed Jun 2 15:37:15 WST 2004

> I was wondering - does anybody here have any experiences / comments on
> the use of GPRS under Linux?

Yep, use it for embedded linux systems.  Works fine.

The easiest way to think about it is to use your mobile ( we use GPRS
modems, same thing I suppose !) as a modem.

Usually with a modem you dial ISP telephone number - same with GPRS.

AT*99***1#

This will instantly start a ppp session, which you would run something like
pppd.  There is no username/password required.  The Telstra/Optus/Vodaphone
network will allocate you a private IP, gateway IP and DNS settings.  And
then away you go surfing the web at lightening speed ;)

 I have a Nokia 3650 and have used it as a GPRS modem, but under windows.
It connects using the infrared port on my laptop/phone, so you would
probably need to make sure all that is sweet under linux.

The speed of GPRS is very slow.  I **think** its something like 19200bps,
but I could be wrong.  We have found the reliability 'OK' with our field
devices, a few little hiccups now and then but have sorted those out ( for
example, Telstra blacklisting mobile number if too many connect/disconnects
happen).

Pricing is pretty crap.  Starting from 2.2 cents per 1KB, and they count
both directions.  Vodaphone have some good plans ( $29.95 gets you 5mb, and
0.58 cents per 1KB after).  You can go on Pay as you Go, and pay 22 cents
per session connection.  But this is waived if you use a plan like above.

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/networks/info/gprs.htm

One thing you have to be careful about is some providers offer WAP/MMS only,
if you dont ask for actually using your mobile to browse the internet.  I
found this with optus/vodaphone, as I purchased prepaid SIMM cards and found
only WAP was available.  I dont know why it doesnt work ( as far as I can
tell, ppp session worked fine, just wouldnt browse when using GPRS
modem) -this is what the guy on the phone told me.

I can provide /etc/ppp/options etc. if you like.

cheers

Paul