[plug] kernel driver frusturation

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jun 2 20:24:33 WST 2004

Cameron Patrick wrote:

> Some hardware isn't supported by 2.4 or 2.6 kernels, e.g. m68k Macs.
> Though God only knows why you'd want to run Linux on one of those.

Because a network worm is rather less likely to automatically crack and
rootkit a 2.2 m68k box running Apache 2 and OpenSSH 3.6 using common
exploits like buffer overruns ;-)

There's a strong attraction to using weird and possibly old
architectures for firewalls and other hardened applications, at least if
you're primarily trying to ward off script kiddies and casual attackers.
W^X, Exec-shield, etc are helping reduce the advantages of doing so, but
I still wouldn't mind a small ppc box for my firewall.

Craig Ringer