[plug] Debian VS Mandrake

Brock Woolf ultima160 at iinet.net.au
Sat Jun 5 01:27:57 WST 2004

> > * Features XFree4.3 not 4.4 (4.4 is not true to the GPL and has a semi
> > proprietory license)
> Err... while XFree86 4.4's license isn't at all popular and for good
> reason, I'm not convinced that "semi-proprietary" is the right term.
> It's rather like the BSD license with advertising clause, and is in many
> ways less restrictive than the GPL.

Yeah well Semi proprietory license/partial GPL/ GPL with restrictions
whatever you wanna call, it you catch my drift. Learn to Keep it real
wigga :)

> XFree86 4.4's license is definitely more restrictive than that of 4.3
> and earlier, though. Unfortunately, it's also apparently
> GPL-incompatible, which is a major problem.

Yeah thats the thing....

> Rather than sticking with XFree86 4.3, perhaps you might want to keep an
> eye out for distros that include X.org's X-Server ( http://www.x.org/ ).

Thanks man but i'm pretty happy with 4.3 i just can't see much of a
difference that would make it worth the change. Forgetting the fact that
i wouldn't know how to do it anyway. lol.

Regards,
	Brock