[plug] Debian VS Mandrake

Brock Woolf ultima160 at iinet.net.au
Sat Jun 5 01:47:27 WST 2004

> | And tell me what makes apt-get so fantastic?

> Hmm, a quick history lesson may illuminate this one. [Explanation of
> Debian's packaging history.]
>  Debian is considered /the/ server distribution for a lot of people.
>  This may be because it's historically been a pain to use for anything
>  else :-)
>
> The factors described in your exploration of Debian's packaging benefits
> (e.g. dependency handling, application of packaging policy, upgrade
> magic) have in the past been decisive factors in the selection of Debian
> as a server OS (as I'm sure you were already aware -- just thought I'd
> point it out for Brock).
>
> PS. Brock, is it possible to make your mail system generate Message-IDs
> that end in something more distinct than '@localhost'? Just an idea for
> something to do if you're ever bored.

Hey good question. You by any chance wouldn't know how? Cause i tried
$ hostname ultima
to change it to ultima but after a restart it goes back?? Any ideas?

>  And Brock: if you're getting the
> feeling that we've been "picking on" your e-mails, I think you'd be
> right: somehow, by a twist of fate, your e-mails seem to have raised a
> large number of 'red flags' regarding e-mail conventions. E.g. when you
> compounded the "sin" of top-posting with the "sin" of HTML e-mail ;-)

Hmm. Very interesting of you to bring this up. If you have noticed, when
i first started posting emails i made a few screw ups, but only because
i did not know that it annoyed people. If you have seen, I have stopped
sending in HTML/I've paraphrased/kept subject names correct and if I did
it again, well fair enough, but as far as i've seen I haven't done it
since. So like people that have been "picking" on my emails. Learn to
give a new guy a break.
Because me or someone else could have done worse and really when you
think about it it was only a mistake?
Or wait.... maybe I am wrong. Maybe a clause should be added to the GPL
"Brock Woolf may never use any GPL, or GPL derived code ever, as his 2
or 3 un-uniformed postings on the Perth Linux Users Group mailing list"
were not rigourously filtered and have annoyed a couple of people.
In fact why doesn't everyone write to parliament and get them to pass a
bill restricting me from sending email or any form of computer
communication.

Or then again why can't we all just cut a new guy who made a mistake and
move on.
Any thoughts?