E-mail conventions (was: Re: [plug] Debian VS Mandrake)

Lachlan Evans lachlan.evans at westnet.com.au
Sat Jun 5 18:04:54 WST 2004

Hi,

In regards to global filtering mailling lists, I am against it.  I
believe that it should be at the end recipient's (ie: not the mailing
list) discretion as to whether or not mail gets filtered or not.

If filtering would be done at the mailling list's server (or inbetween
and around), my suggestion is that it should be a user preference (just
like whether or not you want your mail delivered digest or not) to have
messages filtered how they would like it filtered (within reason).

HTML e-mail stripped, or converted to plain text, with no attachments
whatsoever.
HTML e-mail stripped or converted to plain text, with only cryptographic
signatures left intact.
Both HTML e-mail and plain text, with only cryptographic signatures left
intact.
Both HTML e-mail and plain text, with any other attachments filtered.
No filtering.

The list can go on.. maybe allow users to specify MIME types they'd like
to receive?

And is chosen to be archived is completely up to the list
administrator's discretion.

This is what I understand would be ideal.

--
Lachlan Evans <lachlan.evans at westnet.com.au>